Runyon Tidbits

2003 Part 2

Tidbits on this page were originally published online between April and December 2003

Franklin Runyon Sousley was among the American Marines who raised the flag on Iowa Jima during World War II.

  • In March 1989 Joe Runyan achieved a rare accomplishment when he won what has been called the “Last Great Race on Earth.” Joe was the first that year to drive a team of 11 dogs 1,168 miles from Anchorage to Nome, AK, in the annual Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, which is run over a National Historic Trail called the Iditarod.    Joe took slightly more than 11 days to cover the distance and crossed the finish line as his wife and baby watched.  For his accomplishment, he won $50,000.  

 

  • Reader Tom Runyan recently sent in an interesting item about indefatigable Samuel Runyan (born on 2 October 1833 in Wayne County, Ohio) taken from a book named Past & Present of Shiawassee County published in 1905.  Samuel was married in Ohio on 2 October 1861 to Sophia Frank, a native of Pennsylvania, who was born 14 November 1842.  She was the daughter of Daniel Frank, a Pennsylvania native, who died in Ohio.  Sophia’s mother, Elizabeth Morton Frank, was born in Pennsylvania and died at the age of 68.  His father was Samuel Runyan, a native of Wayne County, Ohio, who died at age 58 when the son Samuel was just 17.  His mother, Elizabeth Clark Runyan, was born in Pennsylvania and died in Michigan at 63.  

 

After his father’s death, Samuel began working on the Wabash & Miami Canal that ran from Toledo to Terre Haute, IN.—a job he held for 18 years.  He had an opportunity to become a steersman on a steamer for $50 per month, but rejected the offer and headed to Michigan in 1866 where he paid the government $2 for 80 acres in Rush Township.  He quickly built a log house covered with a shaker roof, but he could afford to cover only one-half of it before he was left with just $1.  He spent this for butter to put on Johnnie cake for his children, and then turned to the nearby 1,200 acres of marshland that was covered with huckleberries.  He harvested the berries and sold them for $100 ”to keep the wolf from the door.” 

 

Always an excellent hunter, he killed 30 deer in his first winter in Michigan, and also had the reputation of killing 14 bears after moving to Michigan.  He was reported to have carried on his back 50 pounds of meal from Owosso to his home—a distance of 10 miles.  And he split 20,000 rails for different persons in his first five years in Michigan. 

 

By the time Samuel was 70, he was said to be able to dig post holes as well as almost anyone, and had converted his 80 acres in a “high state of cultivation with fine buildings.  The timbers are 8” x 8” in dimension, Mr Runyan having cut them himself and had them sawed.  It is therefore safe in saying this is one of the most substantial houses in the township.”  Samuel and his brother John were twins in a family of nine children.  The others were James, William, Deneen, Sarah, Matilda, Josephus and David.

 

  • There is a Runyon link to the famous 60-year-old photograph that shows six Marines raising the U.S. flag over Mount Suribachi on the island of Iwo Jima during World War II.  The second Marine from the left was Franklin Runyon Sousley of Hilltop, KY. 

 

Although no relation to the Runyon family, his mother gave him his middle name in honor of Dr. Ezekiel Thomas Runyon who delivered him.  Sousley was killed in action on Iwo Jima less than a month after the flag raising.  He is buried at Elizaville Cemetery in Kentucky. 

 

Dr. E.T. Runyon had a long career as a physician.  He was born 30 November 1874 and married Minnie Clarke McLean on 27 December 1900.  In 1960, he was commissioned as a Kentucky colonel with all honors by Kentucky Gov. Bert Combs.  Dr. Runyon died 19 June 1963. 

 

Sousley’s heroism has been documented thousands of times with each publication of the famous photo.  Existing memorials that commemorate the flag raising are at Arlington National Cemetery and at the exit of the airport in Harlingen, TX.  Harlon Black, a Marine corporal from Weslaco, TX, who also was part of the flag-raising group, is buried near the Harlingen statue.

(Source:  Newspaper clippings and notes found in files of Lt. Col. Calvin I. Kephart at Rutgers University; notes of Dr. E.T. Runyon, signed by T.R.L., and the Iwo Jima web site.

 

  • The short-lived USS Brownsville, a frigate of the Tacoma class, had its keel laid on 14 September 1943 and was launched from Richmond Yard 4 at Richmond, CA, by Kaiser Cargo Inc. on 14 November 1943.  Lillian Runyon Burney, daughter of Robert Runyon, who was mayor of Brownsville, Texas, at the time, christened the frigate at her launch.  The USS Brownville was decommissioned by the U.S. Navy on 15 April 1946 and loaned to the United States Coast Guard.  She was returned to the Navy on 28 June 1946. On 30 September 1947 she was broken up for scrap. 

Source:  Copy of Kaiser Cargo Inc. Launch invitation.

 

  • If you’re a sports fan in Manhattan, there is a special restaurant at 932 Second Avenue @ 50th Street named Runyon’s.  The menu carries a sports theme and features “lead off” appetizers, “on-deck” side dishes, “the meat of the order” entrees, “greens keeper” salads, “pinch hitter” sandwiches and much more.  The house specialty is “The Runyon’s Exclusive,” which is a “heavyweight” New York strip sirloin for $20.25.  According to the menu, the restaurant was established on “Friday, April 1, 1977.”

 

  • Information about the Ohio Runyon/Runyan families interested a person who signed his name M.E.S.S. in the 27 October 1926 The Boston Transcripts.  The message was in response to a query asking about a Joseph Runyon who married Nancy Ogden, 10 September 1835.  M.E.S.S. responded that the Ogdens removed from Fairfield Township, NJ, to Cleves, OH, about 1816.  The writer goes on to say that a history of Hamilton, Ohio, stated “that Runyan’s Station was established in 1792, that J.M. Runyan was made postmaster of Cleves under the Presidency of General Harrison, that Runyan, a New Jersey recruit, was killed in an action with Indians, and that Cleves town was founded in 1818.”  

(Source:  The Boston Transcripts have copies of a column of genealogy that published queries and answers.) 

 

  • In Runyon research, there is occasional speculation that the Runyon surname origin is German.  Could that speculation be explained by the simple fact that some Runyons married a German spouse?  Such was the case of a Mr. Runyon who married Clara Beuter, the daughter of Joseph and Anastacia Beuter.  Joseph Beuter was born in Frilfyngen, Germany, went to Taylorsville, OH, in 1833 then to Iowa in 1838. 

(Source: Kentucky Bible Records. E. J. and William V. Walker. DAR Kentucky Society.  Vol. III. Lexington. 1963.)

 

  • A genealogical library had a large, rolled chart with several sheets.  On sheet 6, there was the following information on Reune Runyon:

 

Rev. Reune Runyon  1741/1811/11-11 T101/A312/A312      

Anne Bray      6065 507842/44080M2/4080F        1743/1765/1816

C445/M300/C445

 

“Pastor of First Day Baptist Church, Piscataway. During Revolution, he and brother John was allowed to go through the enemy lines to take the will of their father.”  (It did not state where they were going or from where they came.

 

On the same Sheet 6, there was this notation:

Grace Runyon   1707/1755                 4086F2A        

Daniel Cooper      4086M2A21          1699/1726/1799                                                P312/M300/C462

 

“Grace was Judge Daniel’s first wife.  She made such a good impression on him that following her death, the Judge married five times more—the sixth and last was Hannah Mather, whom he married in 1795 when he was 96 years old.  For many years he was Sheriff of Morris County, N.J. Later from 1768 to 1774 he was Judge of Common Pleas. P312 gives both 1795 and 1799 for Daniel’s demise.”

 

  • The following series relates to Runyons who owned public houses.  In the 1600s, an inn or a tavern was known as an ordinary.  As early as 1656, towns were required by law to have ordinaries. These public houses offered rest for travelers, a place for social gathering and news dissemination, a location to convene courts of justice, a place to buy alcoholic drinks, and even a refuge where people could gather for defensive purposes. 

 

By the 1700s the ordinaries were called taverns. To open an ordinary, annual petitions had to be submitted. In Middlesex County, New Jersey, the following petitions were heard by the Court of Common Pleas.

  • 08 October 1765.  Joseph Drake, Samptown in the Upper part of the township of Piscataway. Petitioners: Wm. Robins, John Campbell, Jacob Dunn, Drake Dunn, Eb’n Muchmore, John Dunn, Samuel Harris, Sam’L Runyon.

  • January 1768 Jos. Drake Jnur, son of Samuel Drake, who purchased the house Joseph Drake, Innkr lately lived.  Petitioners: Daniel Drake, Thomas Fitzrandolph, Elias Soullard, Michael Drake, Daniel Barto, John Foulks, Isaac LeForge, Joseph Drake, Thomas Davis, John Daniels, Joseph F. Randolph, Aaron Bishop, John Pearsall, John Runyon, Benjamin Van Vacter, Samuel Martin, Jacob Martin, Junor, James Miller, John Holtom, Junr, David Martin, Juner, Samuel Randolph.

  • July 1768 Michael Drake of Upper part of Piscataway, rented the public house where Drake Dunn kept Publick House.  Petitioners:  Jacob Dunn, Andrew Smalley, John Dunn, Peter Harris, John Trembly, Isaac Harris, Ephraim Dunn, Micaiah Dunn, Cornelius Bell, Sam’l Runyon.

  • January 1769. Michael Drake of upper part of Piscataway at the place called Samptown.  Petitioners:  John Foulks, Benjamin Van Vacter, Elias Soullard, Andrew Maning, John Daniels, Thomas Davis, Jacob Pearsal, Jeames Fitzrandolph, John Pearsall, John Runyon, Daniel Drake.

  • April 1769 Samuel Drake, desiring to keep Public House at Samtown in the upper part of Piscataway where Joseph Drake Junr is  disposed to leave.  Petitioners: John Pearsall, Benjamin Van Vacter, John Foulks, John Runyon, John Daniels, Thomas Stevens, Elias Soullard, James Fitzrandolph, John Molleson, Andrew Manning, Aaron Bishop, Joseph F. Randolph, Thomas Fitzrandolph, Thomas Davis, Daniel Drake, Samuel Randolph, Jacob Pearsall, Jno Van Norden Ter’t., Gilbert Randolph, James Miller.

  • July 1769 William Compton, lately purchased the house where Michael lately lived, said house had been licensed upward of twenty years.  Petitioners:  Eph. Martin, Isaac Harris, Thomas Randolph, Jacob Titsworth, John Dunn, Leanderd Boice, Molleson Fitzrandolph, Joseph Runyon, Peter Runyon.

(Source: Somerset County Historical Quarterly. A. Van Doren Honeyman.  Vol. 58. September 1983. Lambertville, NJ.  Hunterdon House. 1989. p.104-5.) 

             

 

  • Washington Rock Memorial in Plainfield, NJ, has ties not only to its namesake, George Washington, but also to the Runyon family, according to biographical, historical and genealogical material that was collected on incidents occurring during the American Revolution.

 

  • Miss Anna C. Todd of Dunellen, said that “the Todd family, whose great grandmother and great-great-grandmother, Sarah Wheaton, whose home was near Greenbrook road, carried dinner to General George Washington at Washington Rock, on two different occasions during the summer of 1777, while he was watching the movements of Sir Wm. Howe’s army.  These dinners were carried on a large iron waiter, weighing 6 1/2 pounds and measuring 31 by 23 inches, probably of English make.  The waiter, or tray, is still in the possession of the family, is prized for its historic associations, and is cherished more and more as the years go by.  Miss Wheaton, in 1782, married John Runyon, a member of the New Jersey Legislature.  She lived to the unusual age of 101 years, died in 1849, and is buried in the old cemetery at Somerville, New Jersey.” 

(Source: Somerset County Historical Quarterly.  A. Van Doren Honeyman, Editor.  Vol. VII. 1918. Lambertville, NJ. Hunterdon House. 1989. p.272-273. Members of the Daughters of the American Revolution of Plainfield and North Plainfield contributed the information.)

 

  • In Pikeville, KY, in 1829, there was a store owned by Adkins and Robinson. Betty Elswick of Jeffersontown, KY,  transcribed and edited the old account book of the store.  Many residents are listed, and on page 95 there is a John Runyon. 

(Source: The Kentucky Genealogist.  James R. Bentley, Editor. Vol.21, No. 2. Louisville, KY. 1979. p 50.)

 

  •  Correspondence in the Col. William Preston Papers contains the following note:

Sir: I have sent by the bearer Wm Kavanaugh the District money for Aplegate & Langley & as for Arain Dooley, Charles Cidwell, John G. Runion &Thomas Stanton. They are not in this County nor hant bin sence Last Spring & I understand all but Runian had thire famleys in Bedford County & was Trying to Shift Duty when they were hear.  So I can do no more & I shall humbly thank you for a Clearance for this Part of Duty                                                                    

 

I am Sir

your Humble Ser

Geo. Peary

 

(Source: The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography. Richmond,VA. The Virginia Historical Society. Vol.XXVIII. House of the Society. 1920. p 349.)

 

  • The romantic tale of Jefferson Davis and his first wife, Sarah Knox Taylor, daughter of Zachary Taylor, was told in a 1960 article placed by Mrs. Robert Runyan, a former Miami Herald reporter, in The Filson Club History Quarterly. 

 

Davis, who would later become president of the Confederate States of America at the onset of the Civil War, was stationed at Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien, WI, in 1832, where Taylor was commanding officer.  Davis met Taylor’s daughter at the fort when she was 16.  Taylor, who later was to become president of the United States, vehemently opposed the romance.  But the romance persisted, and Knox (the name she preferred) and Davis continued their relationship.  The two finally married 17 June 1835 after Davis had agreed to resign his commission.  Sadly, both contracted malaria while on their honeymoon, and Knox died less than three months after her wedding. 

 

Mrs. Runyan, who also wrote for a newspaper in Dayton, Ohio, wrote the article based on family stories passed down by contemporaries of Knox. 

(Source: The Filson Club History Quarterly. October 1960. p. 323.)

 

  • On 15 June 1772, a Mr. Runyon of Hopewell Township, Hunterdon County, NJ, was reported to have been run over by his wagon and killed near Pennington. 

(Source: Genealogical Data from Colonial New York Newspapers.  Kenneth Scott, compiler.  Baltimore Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc. 1982. p. 164.)

 

  • Many Runyons and Runyon descendants have served as postmasters through the years.  But only one of them was born and spent his entire career in one. 

 

Eugene Pinson was born 26 October 1908 in the now defunct post office of John, KY, where his grandmother, Virginia Florence Runyon May (1859 to 1934) served as postmistress.  Eugene’s crib was a drawer next to where his grandmother kept postal records and stamps.  His first job was in the Williamson, WV, post office where he started as a clerk and moved up to inspector.  While serving in the U.S. Navy, he served as a military postal inspector.  And upon discharge, he returned to postal work at Pikeville and then Lexington, KY.  From there, he became inspector-in-charge in Cincinnati with responsibilities over Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana.  He finally became the postmaster in New York. 

(Source:  “The Pinson Family.” The East Kentuckian. August 1970. p. 10.) 

 

  • Some Runyans made applications for pensions after the War with Mexico  Among the applicants were:

 

  • Benjamin and Teresa Runyan, New York, 10 October 1889

  • James J. Runyan , Ohio, 02 April 1887

  • Levi Lewis Runyan, Iowa,Calf., 12 April 1887

  • Vinson Runyan, New York, 09 March 1887

  • Daniel Runyan, Kentucky, 31 May 1887

  • George W. and Zerelda Runyan, Kentucky (no date)

  • William G. and Mary Runyan, 17 August 1897

 

(Source: Index to Mexican War Pension Applications.  Barbara Schull Wolfe. 1985. p. 287.)

 

  • In 1814, Maj. George  Madison gave a list of Kentucky militiamen that were held as prisoners in Quebec, Canada. Among them was Francis Runyan of Fayette County.  (Source:  Kentucky Gazette. Karen M. Green. No. 8, Vol V.  Monday, 21 February 1814.)

 

  • We’ve received several inquiries and contributions from Runyon researchers since the last update.  Tom Runyan sent a photo of the Boericke-Runyon Co. bottle that we’ve incorporated into that piece.  Tom’s also sent some other tidbits that we’ve included in this update.

 

  • Nancy Runyon Reddy also sent some good information on a branch of the Runyon family that joined the Shakers.  The information also is in this update along with a link to her great website.

 

  • And Ira Runyon has set up a web page for discussions about the Runyon families and their origins.

 

  • C. F. Runyan, once of Pacwaukee, WI, has his name written on a mysterious wedding photograph that was found in 1994 near Black River Falls, WI.  An article in a local paper gives the account of a lady who, over a period of years, found brown grocery bags placed in a ditch on the side of a two-mile stretch of road.  The items varied from clothing to personal items to barbells.  All the items had a slight perfume smell to them.  The wedding photo was in the last package.  It seemed to be a Victorian era photograph of a well-dressed man and woman in an oval, ornate, gold frame.  A stamp on the back of the photo says Chicago Photograph Company, Chicago, Ill.  And C. F. Runyan’s name is written in pencil on the frame.  If anyone knows who the photograph belongs to, it is at the Jackson County History Room in Black River Falls, WI.  Thanks to Tom Runyan for this interesting article.

 

  • David Crouch had a sister who married a Ryan.  That sister’s son, around 1835, was living near Mercer.  He married into the line of the Runyon family that lived between the Kentucky River and Lexington.  This family decided to join the Shakers and Ryan’s new wife thought she was obliged to join too and left their twins in the cradle.  Evidently, Ryan became upset and beat one of his in-laws severely.  Another one came to his house, and he fared even worse at the hands of Ryan.  The magistrate was called in, but he advised the Runyons to leave Ryan alone.  David Crouch could remember no more in his interview and thanked his wife for reminding him of the details.  “Little things are erased from men’s minds while they are retained by women,” Crouch said.  Thanks to Nancy Runyon Reddy for this tidbit.  It’s also included on her Runyon family site.  (Source: David Crouch Interview.  Draper Collection of Manuscripts.  Vol. 12 cc225-229.  circa 1835.)

 

  • That some Runyons were Quakers or Shakers is a fact that is corroborated again by Crouch.  In a summary of his interview, his last statement relates again to “intermarriage of the Ryans and the Runyons, the latter a Shaker family.” 

(Source:  Draper Collection of Manuscripts. Vol. II. Wisconsin State Historical Society. Madison,.1925. P. 479.)

 

  • Gary Runyon, grandson of Runyon Genealogy co-author Robert Runyon, researched Runyon men who participated in the War Between the States at the National Archives.  One file found a letter that indicates the age-old confusion about the spelling of the surname.  John G. Runyon had to reply to the government’s question:

 

“Your above entitled claim for pension under the Act of May 11, 1912, requires your affidavit, giving your correct name and the name by which you are known; it appears in the case as John G. Runyan and John G. Runyon.” 

 

Runyon went before George. B. Yard and swore that “my correct name is John G. Runyon and that is the correct way to spell it.” 

 

 John G. Runyon was born 13 September 1844 at Plainfield, N.J., to George and Mary Runyon  He enrolled as a private 18 July 1862 at New Brunswick, NJ., in Co. 5, 11th Regt. Inf., New Jersey Volunteers.  He transferred to Co. A 21st Regt., Veteran Reserves Corps.  He was honorably discharged at Trenton, NJ, on 7 July 1864.  He married Anna Elizabeth Smith 14 October 1864.  Their children, all born in Trenton, were:

•           Emma 12 June 1865

•           Samuel 5 June 1870

•           George, 2 July 1872

•           William, 19 January 1876

•           Charles L. 26 July 1880,

•           Harry B. 17 February 1884

John G. Runyon died 2 January 1925 at Trenton, N.J.

 

 Also requesting pension information in 1921 was Conrad (Coon) Runyon, a Confederate soldier during the Civil War, who was living in Sharon, WV., at the time of his inquiry.  However, he had to have been dismayed in this reply:

 

Sir:  Referring to you declaration for pension filed in this Bureau April 8, 1921, wherein you allege service in the Rebel Army, and acknowledging the receipt of your affidavit field 2 May 1921 you are advised that since it appears that your service was rendered with the Confederate troops, there is no existing law authorizing the payment of a Federal pension on account thereof, and your declaration, and the affidavit are returned to you herewith.

Very respectfully,

Washington Gardner

Commissioner

 

  • Coralie Runyon and Gayle Anderson Braden coauthored a history of their Maysville, KY, church congregation in 1948. A History of the Christian Church, Maysville, Kentucky could be a great lead for other Runyon names and information to researchers.  This Mason County town is famous as the birthplace of actress Rosemary Clooney (1928-2002). 

(Source: The Filson Club Quarterly. Richard H. Hill, Editor.  Book Review section.  Vol.XXIII. Dunne Press. Louisville, Ky.  1949.)

 

  • During the Revolutionary War, John Runyon was a private in the North Carolina militia at Rowan County, North Carolina, and served until the surrender of Cornwallis.  Author Grace Carroll Runyon says John Runyon was born in 1763 in Hunterdon County, New Jersey.  He came to North Carolina as a child with his parents, and later married and had a family.  John Runyon received his Revolutionary War pension in 1832.  He died in 1833 and is buried near New Hope in Jackson Township, Preble County, OH. She also mentions Robert Runyon, a descendant of Vincent Rongnion of Poitiers, Poitou, France, who came to Preble County in 1806. Robert, born 3 August 1786, was eldest child of Bafford and Nancy Parks Runyon.  Robert moved to Kentucky and married Elizabeth Burns and had children.  He then moved to Somers township and Sugar Valley in Preble County in 1806.  He died 10 June 1874. 

(Source:  Historical Facts on Preble County and Daughters of the American Revolution Society. Grace Carroll Runyon. 1945. Eaton Press.)

 

  • Congress ordered the arrest of Enos Runyon on 8 January 1877 when he failed to answer questions before the Senate Committee on Privileges and Elections.  The committee was investigating the facts surrounding the recent appointment of electors for president and vice president in Oregon.  By 11 January 1877, all was resolved when Enos Runyon appeared before the committee, answered questions and “thereby purged himself of contempt.” 

(Source:  Precedents Relating to The Privileges of the Senate of the United States. George P. Furber. Government Printing Office. Washington, D.C. 1893.) 

 

  • Among the 77 names of officers and men in the Elizabethtown militia on 9 February 1776 was John Runyon (No. 70 on the list).  The list was titled “Officers and Men Belonging to the Militia of Elizabethtown Who Entered on Board of Three Different Shallops as Volunteers in Order to take the Ship Blue Mountain V_____, Jan 7-22 1776 under the Command of Elias Dayton”.  The paper was signed by Edward Thames 07 February 1776. (Source:  New Jersey State Papers M247, r82, i68, p89.)

 

  • In pre-Colonial days, settlers used ear marks to identify their livestock.  These ear marks consisted of notches taken out of the ears of cattle, horses, swine and sheep that were unique to the livestock owner.  Even though cattle raisers today use brands to mark their cattle, many continue the practice of using ear marks as additional proof of ownership.  Here are some of the ear marks of the early day Runyons who settled in Piscataway, N.J. 

  

  • Ephraim Runyon:  “a Slit in the End of Each Ear and a half peny Under the Right Ear the Mark yt was the Reverend Benjamin Stelles Deceased.”  Entered 12 February 1760 to Reune Runyon, town clerk.

  • Peter Runyon:  “a Slit under Each Ear the Mark that was his Father Peter Runyon’s Deceased.”  Entered 18 September 1760 to Reune Runyon, town clerk.

  • Joseph Runyon:  “two Slits ye under Side ye Left Ear ye Mark yt was formerly Gabriel Leboyteux, Dec:d.”  Entered 7 January 1762 to Reune Runyon, town clerk.

  • Reune Runyon Jun:r:  “a half peny the Upper Side of ye Left Ear the Mark yt was Samuell Jones Decease:d.”  Entered 17 August 1764 to Reune Runyon, town clerk.

  • Benjamin Runyon:  “a Slit in the End of the Left Ear and a Slit ye Under Side Each Ear.”  Entered 3 December 1764 to Reune Runyon town clerk and entered later to his son Peter Runyon.

  • Peter Runyon (son of Joseph [sic}):  “a hole through the Middle of the Left Ear and a Slit from ye Hole to the top of the Ear.”  Entered 3 December 1764 to Reune Runyon, town clerk.  

(Source:  Piscataway Earmarks. Oliver D. Drake.  The Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey. Genealogical Society of New Jersey. Vol. XXXVI. 1961.)

 

  • The Wayne County News in 1920 reported that Hannah Runyon Blankenship of West Virginia at 105 years of age was the oldest woman in the United States.  Born about 1815 in Pike County, KY, during the Andrew Jackson administration, Mrs. Blankenship in the 20th century was an opponent of women’s suffrage and women’s cigarette smoking although she herself smoked a pipe.  About 1835, she married Condie (later spelled Conley) Blankenship and they had eight children.  He died about 1870 and was buried in England Hills near Catlettsburg, Ky. 

 

The same newspaper reported her death at 108 on May 15, 1924,  with a comment that showed she was, perhaps, more of a suffragette than she let on.  In her obituary, the newspaper noted:  “…even after rheumatism handicapped her in her usual activities, she insisted on going to the polls to vote.” 

(Source:  West Virginia Archives and History.)